Monday, September 30, 2013

Lap Quilt

First a disclaimer; I am NOT a quilter. I keep thinking back to the day that an acquaintance asked me, "What can't you do?" At that time, the answer was, I can't spell and I can't cut hair, everything else is requisite to learning how." I have added quilting to that list. So why in the world did I even attempt to create this quilt? I was introduced to paper piece quilting many years so and I just had to try it. Oh my word, I cannot get everything even and straight, a requisite for paper piece quilting.     
I got this one project (that is the Mount Timpanogas Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, located one mile from my home) completed about 2 years ago and I swore that I would never do another one. Meanwhile, I turned that quilt square into a pillow top, put it in a plastic case and it has just sat in the top of my closet. Then some things, very happy things, happened in our lives and I decided to make that lone 12"x12" quilt square the center of a lap quilt, to give to MHD for Christmas.
 I bought fabric which you can run through the printer, and then sew the picture onto a project. I printed off two pictures one of MDH and myself and one of all of our family which were with us on that special day. I used the fabric which I had used to create the pillow cover, then I added more fabric to make it lap quilt size. I have a friend who has a quilting machine and she machine quilted it for me. I hand hemmed the edges down, and it is done.   Now it is sitting in a box in the top of my closet.   I am doing my best to make this a complete surprise for MDH.  So if you know him, please do not tell him about this quilt or show him the pictures.  Thank you!

 

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! GREAT photos! I didn't realize you are just a mile from the temple. So, this didn't infect you with the passion for quilting?!?! Lines don't all have to be straight if you're not in competition... :)

    ReplyDelete